Benjamin Beit-Hallahmi, an Israeli professor of psychology has aggregated a century’s worth of data and has created the following profile of the average atheist compared to the average religious person. (1) The atheist is far more likely to be:
- male & married
- more well-read than average person
- less authoritarian and less dogmatic
- less prejudiced & more tolerant
- less suggestible/difficult to manipulate
- generally compassioned/conscientious
- unhappy/alienated from wider society.
The tidbit I am most curious about is why gender plays such a huge role. The rate of atheism is 7 times higher in men rather than women.